Sunday, September 11, 2005

Saturday Night: Something Asian, forgot the rice

Andrea's suggestion for dinner was "something Asian, with rice", so we picked out this menu from my box of NYT recipes. The planned menu was: Dry Fried Green Beans; Sesame-Crusted Snapper with Ginger-Butter Sauce; Scallion Pancakes; Rice. Of course, in the frenzy of cooking, I forgot to actually make rice. Luckily we still had plenty of food and the scallion pancakes worked to soak up the sauce from the fish.

Notes about individual items:

  1. I've tried to make this style of green beans before, but I guess I never let them cook long enough -- they don't get that shriveled look until after about 5 minutes in the wok.
  2. The scallion pancakes were excellent; I think they'll become regular accompaniments to Asian food.
  3. I don't really need to say anything about the fish because how could the combination of fresh snapper, sesame, soy, butter, and ginger be anything other than excellent?
There was more than the usual amount of smiling at the table; even if I did forget the rice.

No comments: