Monday, September 12, 2005

Sunday Night: French Onion Soup; leeks and artichokes vinaigrette

I had been slowly developing a strong need for French onion soup; since it's cooled down enough to make stock, yesterday I was able to satisfy that need. I followed the same procedure as usual: onion soup recipe from Bourdain using dark chicken stock from FStoS. The only real variation is that I used Emmenthaler cheese instead of Gruyere and made the soup in our new "French onion soup bowls".

To go with the soup, I poached some leeks and braised the remaining baby artichokes and served them with sauce gribiche. The sauce recipe is also from Bourdain, but I don't agree with the way he assembles the sauce (just mixing everything together). His way may be "correct", but it seemed like this sauce should be emulsified, so I did this:

Put the yolk of a hard boiled egg in the minichop with 1 Tbs capers, 1 Tbs red wine vinegar, and 1 Tbs canola oil. Blend until homogeneous. Add 3 additional Tbs oil and blend until everything is nicely emulsified. Pour this emulsion into a bowl with the finely chopped egg white, 2 finely chopped pickles, and a tsp or so of minced parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings using white pepper.

No comments: