Ah, the fun of doing random things in the kitchen:
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Monday, April 19, 2010
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Last night somehow turned into a big cooking night.
We started with margaritas because it was Friday, and we could. :-)
For the pork: marinate pork loin steaks with tarragon, garlic, tabasco, cider vinegar, and some salt. After about an hour in the marinade, dredge in flour and then sauteed them. For the sauce: cook sliced garlic with some piri piri chilis in a good amount of olive oil until the garlic starts to take on a bit of color. Add small-diced carrot and onion and cook until the onion is good and soft. Add whole cumin and some ground coriander and let cook a couple more minutes. Add tomato puree, rosemary, bay leaf, and some salt and let simmer, covered, 30 minutes or so. Serve the pork on top of the sauce.
I also did bratkartoffeln with onion and spinach sauteed with pine nuts and raisins and then tossed with a bit of wine vinegar.
Of course we also had a green salad.
mmmmm, good eating.
Posted by Greg Landrum at 5:03:00 AM
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Making teriyaki has been on the list for a while, particularly after having lunch at Tokyo Subway when we were in CA.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Last night I did two very simple dishes:
- schnitzel: pork loin pounded thin, seasoned with salt and piment d'esplette, and breaded; served with lemon
- saffron risotto: onion, rice, saffron, white wine, stock
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Monday, April 12, 2010
Sunday, April 11, 2010
It's not quite summer yet, but the weather was acting summery, so we had friends over and did a southern barbecue:
- pork shoulder rubbed with "All South" rub (I substituted hot paprika for the chili powder and cayenne), smoked over hardwood logs, and basted with beer. Served sliced.
- beacon butcher barbecue sauce
- cole slaw ("Tidewater Coleslaw")
- baked beans ("Grandma Wetzler's Baked Beans")
- cornbread (my usual variation with extra corn meal and whole sweet corn)
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Friday, April 09, 2010
Last night I did a collection of salads to celebrate being back and having a big new biokiste to work with:
- potato salad with vegetable broth from a recipe in Wiener (this was the main driver of the idea... there were lots of potatoes to use)
- diced steamed beets tossed with olive oil, balsamico, rosemary, salt, and white pepper
- steamed kohlrabi sticks with lettuce and herb quark (chervil, tarragon, parsley)
Wednesday, April 07, 2010
A quick one to help recover from the flight back from CA: