Friday, January 18, 2008

Thursday Teriyaki

Wednesday night we needed to finish the last of the meatloaf, but last night I could cook again. I made some miso soup to start with and then chicken teriyaki as a main course.

I normally avoid teriyaki because I find it much, much too sweet, but the recipe in Tsuji sounded more balanced. The recipe calls for 7Tbs each of sake, mirin, and dark (Japanese) soy sauce and 1Tbs sugar. I made about a half portion for us with 4Tbs of the liquids and a half Tbs of sugar. The sauce in its pure form is a bit boring, but after deglazing the chicken pan with it and reducing for a couple of minutes it's great. I need to work on my chicken-leg boning technique: boning the two leg quarters took me much longer than I need to do a whole chicken (except the drumsticks). Practice will make perfect and this dish is quick enough and good enough that practice will be happening.

We ate the teriyaki on sweet rice with quick pickled cucumber (with yuzu) and pickled ginger (bought) on the side.

No comments: