Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wednesday: Brussels sprouts and a pig in a big blanket

Last night I did a couple of quick improvs that seemed seasonally correct: brussels sprouts with a mustard-cream sauce and smoked pork loin baked in blätterteig.

The pork was simplicity itself: I brushed the smoked loin with mustard, wrapped it in the dough, and then baked it until the crust was nicely browned.

The sprouts were somewhat bigger than the ones we normally get, so I parboiled them first, then cut them in half and finished cooking them in butter in a skillet with some salt. Just before serving I added a bit of cream, some prepared mustard, some white wine, and a couple grinds of white pepper.

We ate these nice things with a green salad.

For whatever reason, this struck me as photogenic... I'm falling down the food photography hole.

No comments: