Sunday, January 20, 2008

Saturday Braise

Is it a braise or is it a roast... that is the question. I'm going with braise.

I started with a nice piece of beef (siedfleisch. it looked like a piece of breast, but who knows). This went in the Römertopf with a sliced leek, some sweet white wine (Amigne de Vetroz, "half sweet" officially), a bay leaf, some marjoram, and a bit of salt. This went in a cold oven and was brought up to 150C. After an hour and a half I added a chopped parsnips, carrots (red, yellow, and orange), and celery root. Another hour and a half later I fished out the vegetables and meat and made a sauce by thickening the pan liquids with a light roux and adding another splash of wine.

We ate this with mashed potatoes and a big green salad.

Surprisingly to me, the meat could have used a while longer in the oven: it wasn't completely fork tender. Ah well, the flavor was still good. Not my most successful creation, but easily edible.

No comments: