Monday, January 14, 2008

Sunday stewed fruit

Dinner last night was leftover meatlof (surprise surprise) with ebli as a side and a big green salad. I did one of our rare desserts by stewing some fruit.

I started with some mixed dried fruit from Coop (plums, pears, apricots, peach, apple). I cut the fruit into bite-sized pieces and then put them in a pan with some cherries, apple juice, orange juice, a shot of rum, a cinnamon stick, a couple cloves, a star anise, a grind of black pepper, a bit of cayenne, a bit of ground ginger, and some nutmeg. This I let simmer for about an hour until the fruit were well hydrated and the liquid had reduced to a sauce. We ate the fruit topped with a bit of vanilla pudding (from the store, I thought about making creme anglaise but that would have just been too much work after our hike). This was quite nice.

No comments: