Monday, July 25, 2005

Sunday Grilling

Yesterday I thawed the top sirloin steak from our cow and grilled it up using the "high plains drifter style" recipe from How to Cook Meat. This recipe uses a rub with mustard, fresh oregano (I used marjoram), paprika (I used a combination of pimenton and sweet paprika), garlic, and red wine vinegar. It's plenty assertive. :-)
I clearly have not mastered the art of grilling with a wet rub -- I had the classic problem of "all the rub sticks to the grate", even though I let the damn thing site, unmolested, for at least 5 minutes. Maybe I need to use a cooler fire (this was in the very hot range) and let it set even longer.
Still, we ate the steak with reserved rub on the side and it was delicious.

To accompany the steak, I grilled some cipollini onions (CSA) and did a hobo pack with mushrooms (brown, shitake, and white), garlic, onion, and beet greens (CSA). We also had a summer salad derived from the summer pasta salad in JPFF, the big difference was that I used potatoes (CSA) instead of the pasta. I haven't made this with the pasta, but it sure as hell was good with potatoes. It was also a good way to use up CSA summer squash and basil.

No comments: