Monday, July 11, 2005

Sunday night: Poule au Pot with dumplings

Last night I made poule au pot following Bittman's "Chicken in a pot" recipe. The only real variation was that I added a couple stalks of celery (cut in half) to the stock. I removed the celery before serving, because who wants to eat mushy cooked celery? We topped the bowls with a bit of fresh parsley and chives.

For the dumplings I used a variant on a Niederrheinische Kloss recipe:
65 g melted butter
50 g coarse bread crumbs
125 g flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and nutmeg

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix gently, but thoroughly. If the dough seems too dry, add a bit of butter.
Gently form golfball sized (or a bit smaller) dumplings and cook in a boiling stock.

I thought the dumplings were good, but Andrea prefers herbed potato dumplings. Maybe next time I'll try adding some fresh herbs to these.

We accompanied this with some sauteed summer squash (CSA box) using the "Crisp fried cucumbers and lemon" recipe in Bittman. This tasted really good, but were kind of a pain in the ass and didn't end up particularly crispy.

No comments: