Wednesday, January 26, 2005

La Cheminee: Microreview

Last night we did the prix fixe thing at La Cheminee. Overall I was not as impressed as last time we went. Andrea's theory is that we've had a lot more French food since then (including our trip to Provence) so our standards are higher. That's a pretty good theory.

More detail: the apps were pretty good, Andrea's warm spinach and red cabbage salad was really nice and my lobster bisque was good, if not great (it didn't have the sweetness you get from good lobster).
Andrea's main course, called "Pot au Feu" was braised beef rib with vegetables. The beef was *good*, but I was disappointed by the sauce (a bit bland) and the fact that they didn't serve the broth or braising liquid with the dish. My monkfish quenelles en croute were a nice excuse to consume their sauce, which was delicious. :-)
Dessert for both of us was creme brulee, which hadn't been carefully enough caramelized, but was otherwise good (maybe a bit overcooked for my tastes). But then we're both spoiled by having mandarine-infused creme brulee. (Which I need to make again!)

No comments: