Monday, March 07, 2005

Sunday Night: Roast Chicken

It had been quite a while since I made a roast chicken, last night I corrected that.

The recipe I followed was from Bourdain; I thought about making the basic roast chicken with garlic and thyme from FStoS, but I was scared off by the amount of butter (10 Tbs!). Given that we had waffles yesterday and were going to have cannelloni with the chicken, that seemed excessive. I'll save this recipe for sometime that we're having the chicken with rice. I was also swayed by the fact that Bourdain's recipe includes a white wine-based pan sauce, which I thought would go well with the cannelloni.

Our oven isn't completely compatible with Bourdain's technique, so the skin on the breast got darker than I would have liked and the thighs still required a bit of time in the microwave upon emerging from the oven. This would irritate me, but I just pretend it's a feature when it comes time to reheat the chicken for leftovers. :-) Next time I'll put the chicken in the rack and do the "start it upside down" trick.

Still, the flavor of the chicken was great (I used a Rocky Jr. broiler from WF), the sauce was fantastic, and it matched nicely with the cannelloni and beans (frozen haricot verts, wax beans and carrots from TJs).

No comments: