Friday, October 07, 2005

Plum jam experiment

We had some nice prune plums that were starting to get too soft, so last night I tried a jam experiment (really it was a Pfluemli experiment, but there's little chance that would work). I put the pitted plums in a pan with a bit of water, some sugar, a couple cloves, a couple lightly crushed allspice berries, and a bit of cinnamon.

I simmered this covered for about an hour, until the plums were pretty broken down. Then I ran it through the food mill (fine mesh), put it back on the stove, and added some liquid pectin and a bit of lemon juice.

After getting it back to a simmer. I removed it from the heat, transferred to a yogurt container, let it cool to room temp, and then tossed it in the fridge.

This morning it's not as thick as I'd like -- more time cooking with the lid off is probably wise -- but the jam does have a nice flavor.

This is no Pfluemli, but it'll work well on cereal.

No comments: