Sunday, September 17, 2006

Saturday Night: Flounder poached in caramel

Flounder was on sale at the Coop yesterday, so I grabbed a few fillets to do Southeast Asian food with. I more or less followed the recipe in BittmanWorld: Make a caramel with 1/2 cup sugar; add 1/4 cup fish sauce mixed 1:1 with water; add 1/2 cup minced onion (supposed to be shallots, but we didn't have that); add copious black pepper; cook until the onion starts to soften; add juice from 1/2 a lime; add the fish and poach; add another 1/2 a lime just before serving.

To accompany this, I simmered some julienned ginger and beans (purple beans) cut into 2 inch pieces in a mixture of soy sauce and water until the beans were tender. After pouring off the liquid, I tossed the beans with a bit of butter and served them.

We had all this with rice.

No wine because I forgot to get a bottle of riesling (or some other appropriate white) and we didn't have anything appropriate in the house.

No comments: