Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sunday Morning: French Toast

One of the weekend bakery specialties is "Butterzopfe", which is a twisted (challah-like) brioche loaf. We hadn't bought one of these before because they are generally huge and we tend towards heartier breads. Yesterday though we saw that Coop sells pieces of Butterzopfe. So this morning I made french toast with the pieces.

For the egg mixture I just used eggs and milk. I sprinkled the pieces of bread with cinnamon as they were cooking and we ate them with Zuckerruben Sirop. The bread is slightly salty, so this ended up being a very nice combination.

For the last piece, I skipped the cinnamon and topped it with a bit of cheese (Gottardo) instead. This was also quite good. I should remember this savory french toast thing.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I also use maple syrup with French toast. It's usually the best.

Cathy
French online