Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Monday: Roesti, pork chop on chopped salad

The prime motivator here was to have rösti. The pork chop was an improv to fit this.

The rösti was the absolutely simple version: grated Agria potatoes (well wrung out, of course) cooked with some salt in clarified butter. Sooooo good.

The chopped salad: combine chopped spitzkohl (no idea what this cabbage variety is called in English) and radicchio with grated carrot and minced onion. Dress with a combination of ketchup, mayo, mustard, rapeseed oil, white balsamico, sugar, salt, and pepper. Let stand 10-15 minutes after dressing it.

The pork chops: season the chops with salt, black pepper, ground cumin, and piment d'esplette. Pan roast them in a cast iron skillet. Serve on top of the chopped salad.

2 comments:

gini said...

Being of Swiss heritage my mom always par-boiled her potatoes first for her Rosti, do you do your potatoes raw? And what is the BEST potato to use in your opion? I am not familiar with the one you mentione in this post. Thank you sooooo much for this blog! I LOVE it!

greg landrum said...

The usual Swiss Roesti recipe uses par-boiled potatoes; my raw-potato Roesti is completely "wrong" from the traditionalist point of view. I don't get too hung up on things like that though: using raw potatoes (carefully wrung out in a towel) yields a really nice result and is less of a pain than par-boiling them first. I did a description of the technique I use here: http://drgerg-food.blogspot.com/2007/08/saturdays-rsti.html

The potatoes I used (Agria) are a typical Roesti potato. They are somewhere in between starchy and waxy. I guess something like a yukon gold is probably a good choice.