Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Monday Night: Slow cooked salmon with salsa

One of our farmers' market purchases this weekend was a nice fillet of salmon from the fish guy (we also got some salmon backs, more on that tomorrow). I've been wanting to try a slow-cooked salmon recipe (there are several in FStoS and one in JPFF) for a while and last night was a good chance.

I salted and peppered the skin-on fillet, put it in a oiled dish, and cooked it in a 200 degree oven for 45-50 minutes. The resulting fillet isn't a cooked color, but the flesh is opaque.

As a sauce, I emulsified some chile morita salsa (from WF) with some epazote leaves, a bit of fresh marjoram, and canola oil. I finished the sauce by adding about half a lime's worth of juice to adjust the tartness.

This was absolutely stunning. I may never cook salmon fillets any other way.

I accompanied the salmon with leftover polenta and grilled veggies and some sauteed rapini greens (topped with the vinaigrette from Sunday night, which provided a really nice contrast). We were quite happy at the end of the meal. :-)

For dessert, I used a JPFF suggestion and topped a graham cracker with some of my homemade ricotta, honey and rum raisins. Nice and simple, but I think Grand Marnier (the original suggestion) would work better than run.

No comments: