Friday, May 20, 2005

Thursday night: poached sole with pesto-cream sauce, "risi bisi"

For the main course here I made a quick pesto (no parmesan, and we had no pine nuts, so I used walnuts) with CSA basil, mixed it with a couple tablespoons of cream, and served it on top of poached sole fillets (from TJs). Poaching was probably not the best preparation method for the sole, which ended up being pretty tasteless, particularly when compared with the pesto. Next time I'll try sauteeing the fish.

To accompany the fish I made a quick risi bisi from the "soupy rice with peas" recipe in JPFF (using spring garlic and scallions from the CSA box as the allium component), and some sauteed greens (radish greens and spinach from the CSA box). The rice was particularly good this time, maybe because of the different alliums?

Dessert was CSA strawberries macerated in sugar and a bit of lemon juice. To serve, I added a bit of grappa, spooned the berries and juice over crushed shortbread, and topped with the usual soft whipped cream. I almost dislocated my shoulder patting myself on the back for the grappa idea, which worked really well.

No comments: