Monday, May 23, 2005

Random Weekend Note: Ricotta Cheese

I was intrigued by a recipe I found for making ricotta cheese, so I gave that a try on Saturday.

The resulting cheese is right in texture but it has a cooked taste to it that I don't normally associate with ricotta. Maybe that's because I haven't had good ricotta before? Maybe it's because, despite my very slow heating of the milk (45 minutes to get to 90 degrees), I still had some borderline burned milk on the bottom of the pan? This last thing is probably only addressable using a double boiler.

Anyway, the cheese is different but good, now we just need to use it up. :-)

1 comment:

greg landrum said...

Thanks for the tip Lyn.
A couple of days in the fridge did indeed decrease the cooked taste a bit. I'll definitely try the double boiler next time.