Monday, June 27, 2005

Sunday: Pork Roast on the Grill

I made this yesterday so that we'd have something nice to put on sandwiches this week.

For the roast itself, I brined a pork shoulder picnic roast (with sugar and salt) overnight, then coated it liberally with B&vG spice rub.

To grill roast the meat, I built a fire with charcoal briquettes on one side of the grill and then put an almond log (comes in boxes at BevMo) across the top of the coals once they settled down. The roast went on the other side of the grill and I put the lid on. I also stuck an oven thermometer in there to get an idea of how hot the fire was: by periodically adjusting the vents I was able to keep the smoke going and the temperature at 300-350 degrees.

I was a bit surprised that one almond log generated smoke for the entire cooking period (about 2 1/2 hours), but I'm certainly not complaining.

After pulling the roast and letting it rest, I thinly sliced part of it and froze the rest. Preliminary tastings indicated great promise. :-)

A couple of notes:

  1. I really need to remember to put a pan or something under the roast next time I do this: the bottom of the grill is now covered in fat.
  2. I didn't grill the roast long enough to render all the intramuscular fat, so these cold cuts are going to be a bit fatty. I didn't want to cook for too long because we needed to have dinner at some point; next time it may be wise to use a loin roast or something with less fat.
  3. There are worse uses of my time than spending the afternoon outside drinking hefeweizen (mmm, Erdinger), playing games, and minding the grill. :-)

No comments: