Thursday, June 30, 2005

Wednesday at the Grill: Skirt Steak, Grill Bread, Gazpacho

Last night we used the skirt steaks we got in the great beef divide (splitting half a cow from Morris Grassfed Beef with three other couples). To prepare the beef, I mostly followed a Thrill of the Grill recipe for "lime-marinated flank steak with chipotle-honey sauce": marinating the meat in chipotle, lime, and garlic for a few hours, then grilling it and serving with a sweet, hot sauce (lime, chipotle, mustard, balsamico, garlic, cumin, 'tro).

The grill bread was the usual recipe from Let the Flames Begin with minor modifications: we didn't have beer or cornmeal, so I used white wine and polenta instead. I actually think I prefer the coarseness of the polenta in this bread, so that may become a regular substitution.

I made gazpacho following the FStoS "Quick Gazpacho" recipe, but I added a bit of pimenton instead of using tabasco.

Notes:

  1. The beef is fantastic.
  2. It was nice to have a thicker sauce with the beef. This one is emulsified and seems pretty stable; it's about the thickness of ketchup. We've got loads of it left, so we'll need to come up with alternate uses. :-)
  3. Amazingly, the tomatoes I got at the grocery store actually tasted like something, so the gazpacho was quite good.
  4. We also had an arugula (CSA box) salad on the side; that arugula is (well, "was" at this point) really good. There was something about the flavor of the arugula that made me think it would go really well in gazpacho... something to remember for next time.
  5. I disagree with the way our cow was butchered: the skirt steak was cut into strips and then rolled into "medallions". I'd much rather have a single piece of meat instead of having long strips.

No comments: