Thursday, March 02, 2006

Behind again... Tuesday Catchup

Tuesday Night:
Stuffed dates
Baked cauliflower with garlic-yogurt sauce from a recipe in The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen (I borrowed this from the library)
Slow-baked asparagus, also from TSMK.
Brown basmati rice
green salad

The stuffed dates were inspired by our tapas lunch on Saturday. Using deglet dates I picked up at the farmer's market on Sunday, I pitted them, added a piece of spanish chorizo in the middle, wrapped them in bacon, secured them with a toothpick, then baked at 425 until they were brown and crispy. This is EXCELLENT. How can you beat salty/smoky/sweet bacony goodness?

The cauliflower is really good. I may have left the pieces a bit too big, because the egg wasn't so much binding stuff as forming a layer on the bottom of the pan, but the dish was still good.

The asparagus was a disappointment. I had hoped that baking it for a long time at low temp would bring out the sweetness of the asparagus, but it didn't. So there was no great gain in flavor, the texture was less than ideal (I prefer my asparagus to have a bit of tooth left to it), and it took two hours. This recipe is a loser. :-)

No comments: