Sunday, March 12, 2006

Saturday's Cooking

I started yesterday (well, really Friday night) with a loaf of bread. I used my usual hearth bread recipe, but I left out the seeds (so it's back to the standard Bread Bible hearth bread recipe with a doubled amount of whole wheat flour). I also baked the loaf in a parchment-lined loaf pan instead of freeform. The result is very, very good. It's moist and has a great flavor and texture. I'm patting myself on the back.

I also started a batch of chinese barbecued pork using a pork sirloin roast and the recipe from BittmanWorld. I'll roast this today and we'll probably eat some tomorrow.

For dinner I made a pot of yellow split pea soup using the recipe in JPT, minus the chicken cracklings, plus a quart of chicken stock for half the water. We ate this enriched with pieces of sausage (farmer-style bratwurst from Dittmers), a green salad, and bread.

No comments: