Monday, October 16, 2006

Sunday dinner: Blanquette de Veau

I knew I wanted to make a stew, roast, or braise for dinner yesterday, so I browsed through BittmanWorld looking for a likely candidate. The recipe for blanquette de veau jumped out at me because it uses veal, which we hadn't done for a bit, and also because it includes parsnips, which we had in the fridge from last week's soup. Aside from making a half recipe and doubling the vegetable content (e.g. I used a full recipe's worth of onions, parsnips, and carrots and a half recipe's worth of veal and sauce), I pretty much stuck to the recipe.

We ate the blanquette over rice.

The results were very good. Maybe more yellow in color than white (Bourdain says it needs to be completely white), but still mighty tasty.

As a side we had brussels sprouts sauteed in olive oil. No green salad because we weren't organized enough to get the lettuce cleaned on time to make one.

No comments: