Saturday, February 02, 2008

Friday night: Grünkohl and chicken

We were both very happy to see Grünkohl in this week's biokiste, so I immediately put it to use.

For last night I started by lightly browning some diced bacon in olive oil and then adding the stemmed and chopped greens in several steps, mixing well to get everything in contact with the heat and coated with oil. I also added a couple piri piri peppers and two coarsely chopped garlic cloves. After cooking, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes the greens started to soften a bit and I added a bit of chicken boullion, covered the pan, and reduced the heat. After another 20 minutes or so I added some diced potato, covered the pan again, and let it cook until the potatoes were done and the greens were soft.

I also did a pot of stock last night, so I had some chicken breast in the kitchen that became the protein component of dinner. I sprinkled the breasts with salt, pepper, and "raclette spices" and then put them in a 90C oven on a plate until the center of one of the breasts was about 70C. This took much longer than I would have liked, but who knows how accurate our oven is.

The resulting food (both chicken and greens) was quite good.

We also had a big green salad.

No comments: