Sunday, December 05, 2004

Saturday night: more Bourdain

Last night I made a couple new things from Bourdain. I don't have the book with me at the machine and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get it, so I won't get the names right.

The main course was pork braised in milk. The sauce was really nice, but the pork roast itself was pretty flavorless. I think this could be pretty easily solved with a different cut of pork. Top-loin roast isn't exactly a flavor bomb.

As a side I did pan roasted/glazed potatoes. This is the dish where you're supposed to carve the potatoes into little football/zeppelin shapes. I'm pretty sure I remember a funny Julie/Julia Project post about this, but my two minutes of searching didn't turn it up. Anyway, I didn't get the potatoes the right shape, but they were more-or-less uniform in size, which is the point. Things turned out pretty well, but there are a couple of things I would change:

  1. If using butter next time, be sure to let it finish frothing, so there's no water left in there when adding the potatoes.
  2. Even though covering the pan to cook the potatoes seems like a bright idea, it's not. It prevents the formation of the glaze.
Apropos nothing: using the new 10 inch skillet, I am now able to do the food flip maneuver. This is enormously entertaining. Now I just have to keep myself (and Andrea) convinced that it's actually useful. :-)

No comments: