Monday, January 23, 2006

Sunday Night: Indian

Last week Andrea requested Indian food, so last night I made a few things from BittmanWorld: Goshtaba (lamb meatballs cooked in milk and yogurt), Haaq (spinach cooked with hing), Dal, and Paratha.

Some individual notes:

  1. I wasn't overly thrilled with the goshtaba. I think the recipe calls for too much cardamom (maybe exacerbated by the fact that I ground it myself instead of using pre-ground). Something also went badly wrong with the sauce, which broke pretty much immediately. I expect yogurt-based sauces to break if they're cooked too enthusiastically, but this one was barely past warm at the time. It's not like the dish was actively bad, but I don't feel any need to repeat this any time soon.
  2. The haaq, which I made with small spinach leaves from the farmers market (not baby spinach, these have some bitterness to them), was very, very good. The combination of hing and greens is fantastic and we certainly will be doing that again.
  3. I think we rolled the paratha too thin. They were really good, a bit too close to tortillas for my taste. We'll have to leave the second batch a bit thicker tonight.
  4. Dal is always good, no further remarks needed. :-)

No comments: