Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Aparagus on the Side

This week there were a couple stands at the farmers market that had asparagus. It seems freakishly early to me, so I asked one of the farmers. He's in the Salinas valley and said it's pretty normal to be getting asparagus now and that he'll have it through June(!). I guess this is one of the bonuses of going to the year-round market: since Palo Alto's market doesn't open for a while yet, we'd be missing out on weeks of asparagus.

Two added bonuses are that this particular farmer does organic asparagus and brings thick stalks to market. Too many people around here demand grass-like stalks of asparagus.

Andrea and I now have explicit plans to load up on asparagus every week and eat it until we're sick of it.

Last night I did asparagus sauteed with shallots from JPFF to go along with leftover pork braised in milk. All I have to say about that is: yum!

No comments: