Sunday, February 12, 2006

Saturday's Braise

Yesterday was a high stock-demand day, so I made 5-6 quarts of chicken stock in the afternoon.

Last night I made osso bucco using the shanks from our cow. I followed the recipe in BittmanWorld pretty much without modification (using chicken stock).

To accompany the beef I made risotto al limone (also from BittmanWorld). I haven't had risotto with lemon before, it's a really nice combination. We also had some steamed broccoli.

I really liked the beef, but I think the risotto kind of stole the show. Holy crap is that good.

Some notes:

  1. I only used the juice of half a lemon in the risotto; a full lemon's worth just seemed too much.
  2. I used a California sauvignon blanc (Mauritsons, which is quite nice) as the white wine for the risotto. This was *very* good; the various citrus notes of the wine come through super clearly. I'm going to have to try this again with a normal (no lemon) risotto.
  3. I'm now about 85% certain that I don't really care for marrow. I'm sure that I'll try it again, but it's just too fatty for me.

No comments: