Thursday, February 02, 2006

Wednesday Night: Split pea soup and cornbread

Andrea suggested a hearty soup for dinner last night, and we still have loads of country ham, so I made a big pot of split pea soup with ham. I used a hybrid of a recipe in Bittman and one in JPT by adding a good tsp or so of herbs de provence to the soup as it cooked. For some reason herbs de provence and peas are tightly linked in my head; they just go together.

Bittman suggests leaving the carrots in fairly large pieces, but he is wrong about that. The carrots in split pea soup want to be diced to about 1/4" (or maybe a bit smaller).

I also made a pan of cornbread using the standard recipe, zucchini sauteed in a bit of butter, and a green salad. It was a very nice, very green meal. :-)

I have no point here, I just feel like saying "Bittman/Pepin chimera".

No comments: