Thursday, February 09, 2006

Wednesday Night: Rillettes

Cati loaned me her copy of Charcuterie so that I could flip through it and drool at all the wonderful things. Looking through the book provided the push that I needed to make a batch of rillettes (I'd been thinking of doing this since reading the recipe in Bourdain).

I made a fraction of the full quantity using about 3/4 of a pound of pork shoulder left over from this weekend's baked beans. Of course there was no way I was going to make veal stock during the week, so I made some chicken stock instead. Otherwise I basically followed the recipe.

The results are excellent. Since this recipe isn't actually that much work (it's more a matter of time), I will almost definitely be doing this again in the not to distant future.

To accompany our rillettes we had broccolini sauteed with garlic and chili flakes, vegetable soup, quick-pickled daikon, cornichons, toasted bread, and a green salad.

No comments: