Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Monday: Resuscitating Hollandaise and Heavy Cream Salvation

Monday night I attempted to reheat the remaining hollandaise from Sunday. After allowing the sauce to come to room temp, I microwaved it for 10 seconds and got back to a nicely liquid and correct consistency. Then I got greedy and tried to actually get the sauce warm by nuking it for another 10 seconds -- that broke the sauce. Doh! After adding a bit of heavy cream and whisking vigorously, I got the sauce back together. It wasn't warm and it was no longer technically hollandaise, but it still went nicely with some sauteed asparagus.

I had found some 12-count shrimp at the fish place, so I roasted those in a cast iron skillet and served them with a spicy orange sauce (Saute minced onion, and garlic in olive oil until transluscent; add some crushed red pepper, tomato juice, and and orange juice and reduce until the sauce is thick; add some orange zest just before serving).

I also added some onion and canned tomatoes to the rest of Sunday's brown rice, tossed it in a gratin dish, topped with gruyere, and baked it until the cheese was browned.

Oh yeah, and we had a green salad.

No comments: