Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Monday: Pork steak with bärlauch butter

As we were gathering Bärlauch this weekend Andrea had the idea of doing a compound butter with it. It sounded like a great idea to me, so we tried it last night.

I made the butter by chopping a few leaves of Bärlauch and then mixing them into butter. I rolled the butter into some plastic wrap and let it cool again. Very simple. I just need to come up with a name for it... I guess in analogy to Beurre Café de Paris it could be Beurre Forêt de Bâle. ;-)

For dinner I broiled a couple of pork steaks and topped them with the butter. The flavor was a bit mild (the Bärlauch we gathered is much milder than the stuff Andrea picked up at the market a couple weeks ago), but otherwise good. The butter also went nicely with the basmati rice we had on the side.

We also had carrots that I chunked, cooked for a bit with some olive oil, then added cream and orange zest and cooked until the cream was quite reduced and colorful.

Oh, and a green salad.

No comments: