Monday, April 04, 2005

Sunday Morning Crepes

Yesterday for breakfast I decided to try the buckwheat crepe recipe in FStoS for the first time; things went not so well.

First of all, you're supposed to let the batter rest for at least an hour after after assembling it; I stupidly didn't read the recipe until we were ready to eat, so I didn't do this.

Secondly, the batter that results from following the recipe is *way* too thick to be crepe batter. I suppose that this might theoretically change with resting, but normally that goes the other way (things thicken as the starch grains swell), so I doubt it. Anyway, I kept adding milk until I had something with the right thickness. I probably ended up tripling (!) the amount of milk in the recipe. This is very, very odd considering that the recipes in this book have normally been completely reliable. It's enough to make me want to try and find an email address for Mark Bittman and ask him.

The resulting crepes were ok, but they were pretty grainy. I guess that this would probably be solved by the resting that I didn't allow the batter to do. We still have some buckwheat flour left, so next time I'll answer this question.

No comments: