Monday, April 18, 2005

Sunday Night Excess

Yesterday ended up being an insane food day. We did:
Jerk Chicken Legs with Banana Guava Ketchup (from Thrill of the Grill)
Fried Plantains (served with banana guava ketchup that I zipped up with some habanero sauce).
Corn Flan (from a Minimalist recipe)
Chickpeas with bacon and garlic
Rice

Oh, and loads of cocktails, but that's for the next post.

The ketchup was a risky thing to make and when it was at the "bananas cooking in onions" stage I thought that maybe I had made a big mistake. But the end result is, as I expect from the boys, great. It also took that habanero sauce shot really well.

Some notes:

  1. Figuring out what to do with the remaining 24 oz of ketchup is going to be interesting. I sense Christmas gifts...
  2. This time when I made the corn flan, I measured out 2 cups of the milk-corn liquid after it steeped. The resulting custards set up much better this time and didn't have any unappealing extra liquid. For serving, I was able to get all fancy-pants and demold the flans onto plates and top them with chopped 'tro. whoo hoo! The corn flavor wasn't the greatest -- this is a stupid time of the year to be making anything with corn on the cob anyway.
  3. The jerk marinade wasn't as hot as I thought it was going to be, and cooking over mesquite charcoal didn't give much smokiness, but the chicken was still very good. Next time though, I'm going to use chicken wings and hardwood chunks/logs.

No comments: