Monday, August 29, 2005

Saturday Dessert: Tangelo Creme Brulee with Raspberry Coulis

I did a different recipe for the creme brulee than last time I made this (which was the first post on this blog... wow): I followed the creme brulee recipe in Bittman this time and used the zest from an entire tangelo. Somehow the Bittman recipe ends up with a lot of air in the custard, which just isn't right. So I'll switch back to the FStoS recipe next time.

I served the custards on top of the raspberry coulis (frozen raspberries macerated with a bit of sugar, then pressed through a strainer). Unfortunately, I neglected to think about the fact that I was going to be demolding the custards when I took them out of the oven, so they weren't really set hard enough to maintain their shape. Oh well, that's easy to fix. Demolding a creme brulee does, inevitably, result in the sugar crust being under the custard, but it's kind of fun to find that hidden crunchy bit while eating. :-)

Still, foam and shape issues aside, the custards tasted great and the coulis was an excellent contrast (color, flavor, and creaminess).

No comments: