Friday, August 05, 2005

Thursday Night: Fish Sticks

I was doing a ton of cooking for Saturday's wedding shower last night, so the kitchen was super hot and I didn't want to do anything involved. There were some pieces of red snapper in the freezer from two weeks ago, so this is what I made up. The connection to fish sticks occurred to me as I was eating.

Red snapper, cut into fish-stick sized strips
milk
good bread crumbs
salt, pepper, cayenne
butter

Soak the fish in the milk for a bit (I'm not sure why you do this, but I see it all the time in recipes, so there ya go... if nothing else, it adds some moisture to help the crumbs stick).
Season the bread crumbs with salt, pepper, and cayenne and spread them on a small plate.
Shake excess milk off the fish pieces and roll them in the crumbs.
Melt some butter in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and wait until it stops foaming. Add the fish pieces and cook until each side is lightly browned.
While the fish is cooking, make a quick cocktail sauce by combining equal quantities of mayo and ketchup, add some dashes of hot sauce (I used Valentina) and Worcestershire, and a good hit of horseradish.
Serve the fish sticks with the sauce.

I ate these very enjoyable treats with a green salad and some sliced tomatoes and I was very happy.

No comments: