Monday, August 29, 2005

Saturday Dinner: Veal Fricassee, Brussels Sprouts, Corn on the Cob

The veal recipe (from JPT) is one that called to me on Saturday morning when I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner. Other than using smaller cubes of veal (maybe 1 inch instead of 2), I basically followed the recipe. Aside: for the bouquet garni I used parsley stems, bay leaves, thyme, lemon thyme, and some marjoram. The resulting stew is wonderfully thick, with a great density of herb flavor/smell.

We picked up the brussels sprouts because we saw them at the market when we bought the corn, and both Andrea and I were curious to see if we could do something good with them. I followed the recipe in Bittman for braised brussels sprouts with lemon juice and parsley and we were both pretty happy with them. I still don't think I'll be buying frozen brussels sprouts anytime soon, but I would certainly cook with fresh ones again.

For the corn we just did basic boiled corn on the cob... mmmm, fresh sweet corn with butter, salt, and pepper.

No comments: