Sunday, January 21, 2007

Saturday: Beef Tongue Hash

Yesterday I was flipping through How to Cook Meat and I found a recipe for a hash made with beef tongue, turnips, and chard. Since the recipe sounded great, I knew all the ingredients were readily available, and I've been wanting to try cooking with tongue, it was imperative that this hash be made. Andrea took some convincing, but eventually agreed to humor me.

Unsurprisingly the beef tongue started out looking like a big tongue:


Following the recipe, I boiled this with onions, bay leaves, cloves, and peppercorns for a couple of hours, until it was fork-tender. After cooking the tongue needed to be peeled:

That outer layer was quite leathery and easy to remove; the inner bit I did with a knife. After peeling, I diced the tongue so there are no more entertaining photos.

After boiling, the tongue was very tasty. It really reminded me of corned beef (which I loved as a kid). If these things weren't so huge (~1 kg) I could easily imagine cooking one of these to make sandwiches. Perhaps I should try that with veal tongue, which is considerably smaller.

The final mixture:
Unfortunately, my picture of the finished dish didn't come out. Ah well.

We ate the hash with a big green salad. This was some very good food.

No comments: