Monday, January 29, 2007

Sunday Night: Fish baked in parchment

Periodically I get the overwhelming urge to do something "fancy" for dinner. This usually ends up resulting in something that's ok, but not great. Last night was no exception to this generality.

I started with a couple of Lachsforellen filets and a couple of good size shrimp. I laid each filet on a piece of parchment; seasoned with salt, pepper, and freshly ground coriander; added a layer of thinly sliced lemon; added a layer of yellow turnip and carrots cut into matchsticks; added a butterflied shrimp; topped with another slice of lemon and a bit more matchsticked veggies. I sealed this whole package up and wrapped in a supplemental layer of foil (my en papillotei technique is far from perfect), then baked it at 180C for about 30 minutes. After opening the packages, I added a sprinkle of finely chopped parsley and thin slices of orange that had been cooked in some reducing orange juice.

The result looked very nice and tasted fine. The fish wasn't especially flavorful (this is my second try with Lachsforellen, I think I should give up on the farmed trout), but the shrimp was good. The veggies were nice as well.

As sides we had fingerling potatoes halved and roasted with olive oil, and brussels sprouts, sauteed in olive oil. Those were both really nice, and both way more in my usual style of cooking. :-)

No comments: