Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Tuesday Night: Grünkohl and Gratin

Two very nice winter dishes here.

The gratin was potato, celery root, and onion and was from a recipe in CPV. My only variation was to top it with bread crumbs during the last 20 minutes of cooking - Andrea requested a crust on the gratin, and she was right.

To prep the gruenkohl (basically collards), I washed and chopped it, then flash fried it with peanut oil in a pan where I'd already cooked some diced smoked bacon and a sliced leak. After the color darkened, I seasoned the greens, added a bit of chicken stock, covered the pan, and cooked for about another 30 minutes. For the last 15 minutes, I tossed in a couple of cervelas.

With a green salad this was very good. The gruenkohl was particularly nice; it could easily stand as a main dish if made with a bit more bacon. I definitely should find some alternative sausage if doing this again though; cervelas (at least the one from Coop) has a bit too much nitrite for my tastes.

No comments: