Monday, February 12, 2007

Sunday Dinner : Spaghetti with Pears

Another recipe from Le Menu. My big deviation here was to use tomato paste and some cayenne instead of curry paste. On reading the recipe, the curry paste seemed a bit too fusion-y for my tastes. Now that I've tried it, I can imagine it being ok... but my way worked nicely too.

300 g mixed ground beef and pork
clarified butter
1 Tbs flour
1 med. onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, mashed then minced
3 pears, cored, 1cm dice
1-2 Tbs tomato paste
cayenne
beef boullion

Lightly brown the meat in the butter. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add the pear and cook for a couple minutes. Add tomato paste, a sprinkle of cayenne, and enough beef boullion to make a bit of a sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve over spaghetti.

This is the third savory pear dish I've made from Le Menu. I'm still having the same stupid reaction each time: I imagine the flavor and it seems good, then I make it and my reaction is "this is weird, ooooo, it's goooooood." I should learn.

No comments: