Saturday, February 05, 2005

Hot Chocolate for Grownups

We went out for dinner last night (mmm, pizza and beer), but then I made some hot chocolate to drink while we played Die Siedler. This is a very different drink from that crap that comes in the foil packets or in a big tub with dehydrated mini marshmallows.

Per serving:
1 cup whole milk
2 Tbs powdered sweet chocolate (I used Ghirardellis)
1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa (again, I used Ghirardellis)
a "pinch" each of cinnamon, pasilla chilli powder, ground ginger, and cayenne (These quantities are completely subjective, use what seems right.)
a slug of dark rum (Meyers), optional

Put the milk in a pot over medium low heat. Add the other ingredients except the rum. Whisk well to incorporate everything. Heat gently, whisking often, until the milk is hot. Pour into pre-heated cups and add the rum if you're using it.

I thought about adding allspice or nutmeg yesterday but I was too lazy to grind any. I also think that a hint of anise might be good, so next time I may toss a star anise or two in there to steep.

No comments: