Monday, February 14, 2005

Sunday Night: Wienerschnitzel and French Fries

This was another one of those "we've talked about doing this for a while, let's go ahead and make it" ideas. I used the wienerschitzel recipe (with a lemon and parsley brown butter sauce) from How to Cook Meat and the fry recipe from Bourdain. Some notes:

  1. We couldn't find any veal for a price that I was willing to pay ($16 a pound is beyond my pain threshold), so I used thinly slicked pork chops.
  2. We couldn't find any big bottles of peanut oil (other than the 35 pound vat at Costco), so I used lard for the fries.

Everything turned out well, but, honestly, this was excessive, even for a Sunday night:
  1. The sauce was delicious, but using a butter sauce on schnitzel, which is already fried, is a bit too much. When we do the remaining two pieces tonight, I'll serve them with just lemon and parsley.
  2. Deep frying stuff on the stovetop is a pain in the ass. I managed to keep the mess down pretty effectively, but the whole house still smelled like frying for the rest of the night. A deep fryer, with a good filter, is really required for this task. As Andrea pointed out, the schnitzel would have been just fine with oven-roasted potatoes.

No comments: