Saturday, November 26, 2005

Thanksgiving redux

Karen and Jamshid hosted the big event and I helped cook. Stuff I made:

  1. Parkerhouse rolls: didn't turn out as well as those from last year.
  2. Baked sweet potatoes: baked in the skin, then peeled and reheated with butter at the last minute. This is a great way to get excellently concentrated flavor.
  3. Mushroom stuffing: I used one "sweet" batard and one sour batard for this. The sour component was a bit too potent and could be dropped or further diluted, but otherwise I thought this turned out well. There were complaints about there being either too many or too strongly flavored mushrooms. I used cremini instead of button mushrooms, which may be partially responsible? Worth keeping in mind for the future.
  4. Squash-leek soup with delicata squash. Similar to the one I made when Christina was visiting.
  5. Roasted green beans: salt the beans and cook them in a single layer at 425 for 10 minutes, flip them and roast another 10 minutes. They are shriveled and delicious and can bemicrowaved at the last minute to reheat.
  6. Gravy
The food overall was just right. :-)

No comments: