Saturday, November 18, 2006

Friday Night: Meatloaf and braised endive

Andrea's parents are visiting this weekend, and I wanted to make something "American" for them last night, so meatloaf it was.

For the meatloaf I used 1 kg of mixed pork and beef, about 2oog of bacon (finely chopped), onion, garlic, 2 eggs, salt, black pepper, sweet paprika, and enough bread crumbs to make things not too wet. Before baking, I topped it with a thin layer of ketchup (of course!). It took 20 minutes longer to cook than I thought it would, but this was still a very nice meatloaf. I'm really looking forward to the sandwiches!

As a side I braised some belgian endive in vegetable boullion (after browning the cut side). This was good, but I think I used too much liquid... it'd be better to use a minimal amount (pan-steamed instead of braised or something).

We ate the meatloaf and endive with a big green salad and some good bread.

An aside: it occured to me that meatloaf is pretty much the same as pate de compagne.

No comments: