Monday, November 06, 2006

Sunday Night: Coniglio alla panna

For the main course here I mostly followed a recipe from Le Menu. It's been a while since I put a proper recipe up, so here's what I did for our two servings:

rabbit; 500g on the bone or about 300g when boned; cut into bite-size pieces
1 carrot, cut into chunks
leek greens
clarified butter (bratbutter)
1 dl dry white wine
2 sprigs fresh thyme
4 needles fresh rosemary (I tend to use rosemary sparingly)
1 bay leaf
cream
fresh marjoram

Make a quick stock by simmering the bones, carrot, and leek with a bit of salt in about 1.5 dl water for an hour. Strain the stock and set it aside.

Brown the rabbit pieces well in clarified butter. Remove the rabbit from the pan and deglaze with white wine. Add back the rabbit, the rosemary, bay, and thyme, a pinch of salt, a grind of pepper, and about 1 dl of stock.
Simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, until the rabbit starts to get tender.
(At this point yesterday we turned off the heat and went hiking. I resumed when we got home. Since this is a stew/braise, this pause is actually good).
Add some cream (a couple Tbs) to give the sauce some body, stir in a bit of fresh marjoram, and adjust seasonings.
If you're serving this without noodles or rice (as we did yesterday), thicken the sauce with a bit of potato starch.

As sides I stewed some escarole and wirsing (savoy cabbage) in olive oil with chopped onion (I refer to this as the "Alice Waters method" since she uses it so frequently in CPV). I also roasted some small yellow potatoes.

This was all very good food. Boning the rabbit was a bit of a pain in the ass -- they may "taste like chicken" (not really), but their anatomy sure is different -- but I'm sure that is something I'll be able to solve with practice. In principle, by using boullion or pre-made stock, the rabbit could be a good weekday dish.

Of course we had a green salad as well.

No comments: