Sunday, November 12, 2006

Saturday Risotto

I had originally planned a quiche for last night, but that would have required more mental focus than I was able to bring to bear (it's been a while since I did quiche, so I was concerned about getting the crust right). I made mushroom risotto instead.

Risotto details: I used a "stock" made from sulz, boullion, and the strained soaking water from some dried porcinis. As vegetables I used finely diced yellow carrot, minced shallot, and chopped rehydrated porcinis. I used a bit of white wine to offset the richness of the sulz, and stirred in some butter at the end. The result was very fine.

As a side I sauteed some halved brussel sprouts in olive oil. There was plenty of time, so I got them quite well browned. A couple minutes before serving, I tossed in a bit of balsamico. The vinegar was a very nice touch.

There was also the requisite green salad.

Wine: L'Ariete Valsangiacomo 2004 Merlot del Ticino; this was nice, but not as appealing as the l'Orchidee that we tasted last weekend.

No comments: