Saturday, November 18, 2006

Thursday Night: Pork Shanks and Bratkartoffeln

Thurday I knew what I wanted to make for a sauce (canned tomatoes, leeks, garlic, sherry vinegar, chilis, paprika, walnuts), but I didn't have any set ideas about protein. While perusing the possibilties at the Coop, I noticed pork shanks (Schweinshaxe) that had been cut cross wise about 2cm thick instead of being left whole. This was too good to pass up: manageable sized pieces of pork leg still on the bone.

The preparation was standard: After browning the shanks, I added the leeks and garlic and cooked them for a few minutes until they started to soften. Then I added the chili and paprika, ground coriander, and ground cumin and cooked another minute or two. Then the vinegar, tomatoes, and some stock (boullion). After about 45 minutes of cooking the pork was fork-tender and I added a squeeze of lemon juice. We ate the shanks topped with the sauce and some toasted walnuts. Very, very good. It would have been even better topped with some fresh parsley and chives (must start kitchen garden!), but it was damn nice as it was.

I also made a nice batch of bratkartoffeln and the requisite green salad.

No comments: