Saturday, March 03, 2007

Friday: leftover Geschnetzeltes with Schwarzwurzeln

To go along with the leftover Geschnetzeltes last night I made some Schwarzwurzeln (salsify).

Last time I prepared these things I ended up with sticky sap all over the place. This time I followed a tip I read somewhere (can't remember now, couldn't find it last night) and boiled the scrubbed, but unpeeled, roots until they were tender in acidulated water. Then we peeled them. This avoided the problem with sap completely.

To serve the Schwarzwurzeln, I cut them into bite sized pieces and then sauteed them in butter and olive oil with some sliced shallots, salt, and pepper until the shallots were nicely browned.

This was good, but it worsened my already bad craving for asparagus by a couple of orders of magnitude. It's made even worse by the presence of Mexican asparagus in the Coop (I won't buy it! I won't buy it!) and the knowledge that there is plenty of asparagus to be had at the farmer's markets in CA at this time of year... oh well.

No comments: