Saturday, March 31, 2007

Friday: Broiled steaks, roasted green onions

For the steaks: I made an herb paste from chopped Bärlauch (wild garlic leaves), chives, parsley, black pepper, and olive oil. After salting the steaks (ribeye), I applied a good coating of the herb paste to one side, then broiled them herb side down in a pre-heated, oiled, cast iron skillet until they were medium rare. After letting the steaks rest, I topped them with the remaining herb paste and served.

I managed to find some nice fat green onions and roasted those with olive oil and coarse salt.

As a second vegetable, I thickly sliced a bulb of fennel and baked that with chicken stock until the slices were tender.

To tie everything together I made rice (parboiled rice + wild rice).

Wine: 2004 Lagrein Grieser Südtirol (Collection Baron C. Eyrl)

No comments: